Friday 6 July 2012

The Dark Side

I must admit, only two months in and I've become a Baby Led Weaning evangelist. Anyone I talk to with a baby or not hears about the Wee One's eating habits and more than likely has to sit through a slide show of pictures on my phone (yes, I've turned into one of those mums). I just want people to know there is another option. I will tempt them to the dark side.

I suppose, I've never really went into any of the reasons Him and I decided Baby Led Weaning was the way to go for us. Neither of us has much control over appetite, so that was a good reason to give it a try, we wanted to give the Wee One the opportunity to control her appetite from day one (this is also why I breastfeed on demand) so it led on quite well. I also had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy and by giving the Wee One control of her appetite and hopefully by proxy, her weight, we might help her avoid problems when she's older.

There is also an amazing laziness aspect to Baby Led Weaning that I've found quite pleasant, apart from having some mess to clean up, I don't need to do anything special for the Wee One, she just gets a bit of what we have mostly, it's great. No steaming mountains of veg, mushing up and putting into containers and freezing, defrosting etc. I suppose breastfeeding has made me lazy, maybe of I'd been making bottles all this time, I might have jumped on purées.

So tonight, we went to Ikea and for the first time we bought a children's meal for the Wee One. It included a cheese sandwich, a yoghurt with only fruit puree added and some organic junk free puffs an biscuits and a bit of fruit (which I didn't actually take). Basically it was enough food the feed the Wee One for 2 days. The yoghurt was a massive hit, MASSIVE. She ate around 6-8 spoonfuls, the most food consumed ever. The puffs were a bit hit too. It does grate me a wee bit that she was enjoying this "made for babies" food, but I can't deny it was wonderful to see her eating so well. So much so that I went out and bought some yoghurts for breakfasts and puddings. I also got some puffs. I'm planning on using these sparingly, but I don't see anything wrong with a few one meal a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment