Sunday 3 June 2012

Steak & Cheese

The Wee One did not surface until after 10 this morning. Him and I were already showered and fed by the time she decided she would grace us with her presence, as such we skipped her breakfast.

My mind was already firmly on lunch anyways by that point. We had some large flat mushrooms and various cheeses, so I decided to make my take on the mushroom burger, inspired by two of my favourite eateries, TriBeCa and The Butterfly & Pig.

The Wee One thoroughly enjoyed her mushroom and cheese and had even stuffed a large piece of mushroom in her mouth which she would not let go of. We eventually were able to fish it out, but in the future I would probably offer her water first to see if she gets rid of it that way instead. I worry sticking my finger in her mouth could cause a multitude of accidents.

We had dinner with Gran and Papa as well as an Aunt and Uncle and some cousins. Dinner with other people makes me a little nervous, only because I'm afraid of failing in my motherly duty and may miss a crucial gag or worse. The Wee One has yet to fulfil my fears, which is great. She happily munch of a piece of steak, carrot sticks and slices of boiled potato. Steak is becoming another firm favourite and was also nearly hamstered away for later, she realised herself, though, that her mouth was a happier place empty.

Mushroom Burgers

3 Large Flat Mushrooms
1/2 Tub Ricotta
3/4 Goat's Cheese Log
Small Handful of Grated Parmesan
2 Bread Rolls
Olive Oil
Sweet Onion Chutney

1. I made my own quick sweet onion chutney but finely slicing 2 medium onions and frying gently for 5 minutes. Then adding 4 tablespoons of red wine vinegar and 2 tablespoons of sugar and reducing for around 10 minutes. I also added a pinch of garlic granules and a teaspoon of dried rosemary.

2. Place your mushrooms gill side down on a baking tray and brush lightly with olive oil. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 180 degrees centigrade, until the mushrooms starting to shrink slightly.

3. Take the mushrooms out of the oven and turn gill side up. Place a couple of tablespoons of ricotta on each mushroom and spread out. Slice the goat's cheese and place on top. Sprinkle the parmesan on top of that and then return to oven for a further 15 minutes.

4. Serve each burger on a roll, topped with the onion chutney. For child's portion slice the mushroom burger into finger widths.

No comments:

Post a Comment