Wednesday 9 May 2012

Bread of Life

I like making bread. Pre-baby I would usually make it around once a month. Post baby, it just wasn't happening. So many other things took priority. With Baby Led Weaning, I wanted to start making my own bread products for the Wee One to enjoy. So today I finally was able to, thanks to my mother in law who came over and kept the Wee One occupied whilst I cooked!

I made some bread sticks, mainly because whenever I've had a shop bought breadstick, I have found them pretty salty on my palate, goodness knows what a baby would taste. By making them myself I was able to control just how much salt went in, as well as sugar, and no nasty hidden things either.

I was rewarded mightily for my efforts. Bread sticks are highly favoured and were chewed and sucked on for lengthy periods. Also popular today was cucumber and cheese. We had two gagging incidents over two mealtimes and I could actually see food being consumed. I'm an extremely proud mummy this evening. The Wee One is getting the hang of it and she also looks like she's enjoying what she's doing!

She was weighed today, and at just over 6 months, she's weighing in at 20lbs dead. No wonder I can't dance about with her for very long of time and I'm really glad I didn't invest in a baby carrier either!

But back to the bread. I was extremely overwhelmed when I realised the Wee One was actually eating bread I made and it was also the first bread she had ever held and tasted. Bread is just such a staple to life and I really felt the transition today between milk and food. The added bonus was that the Wee One seemed to love it!

Breadsticks

250g Strong Flour (I like tipo 00 flour)
250g Semolina (you can substitute for more strong flour if you wish)
1/2 Pint Tepid Water
1 1/2 7g Sachets of Instant Yeast
1 Heaped tsp of Sugar (cannot be omitted as is needed to feed the yeast and allow the bread to prove)
1 level teaspoon of salt (this can be omitted if you wish)

1. Combine both types of flour in a very large mixing bowl. Sprinkle over the yeast, sugar and salt and combine also.

2. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add half the water, mixing everything together with the fingertips of one hand. Gradually add the rest of the water until a dough forms. If you feel it is getting too sticky add more flour, if too dry you can try small amounts of water.

3. Kneed your dough well on a lightly floured surface for around 5 minutes (all of these steps can be performed using a food mixer with a dough hook if you prefer).

4. Form your dough into a a ball and then flatten slightly. Place on a baking tray and flour the top of your dough. Cover a leave to prove in a warmish place for around 30-40 mins.

5. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celcius. Once risen, knock the dough back slightly and roll out to around a 1cm thickness.

6. Slice into long 1-2cm wide strips and place on a baking tray that has been dusted with semolina. Dust each strip with semolina as well.

7. Leave to prove for 10-15 minutes and then back in the oven for 10-15 minute until golden brown.

8. Once cooled break the breadsticks into 10cm lengths and put in an air tight container or freezer bag. They should keep well for a few weeks in the air tight contained or a few months in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment