Sunday 6 May 2012

Some Background

So now that the Wee One has turned 6 months, it was time to start feeding her some actual food. She's been breastfed on demand up to now after a wee hiccup at the beginnging and she's thrived on it. The more I looked into weaning the more suspicious I became of perceived wisdom. Feeding rice cereal for instance, it's rank and has no nutrional value, why would I want to put it in my child? Furthermore, why would I want to feed her something that I would be most unwilling to eat myself?

I've been fortunate to be in weekly contact with volunteers from the Breastfeeding Network who let me know about something called Baby Led Weaning. It's exactly what it says it is. You let your baby lead the weaning. Why not? She controls when and how she eats just now, why not continue? So after a read of a book called Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley and discussing it at length with Him, we decided it would be the best way forward for our Wee One.

So the point of this blog is going to be how we're getting on with Baby Led Weaning, how the Wee One copes, how me and Him cope with the clean ups and the gagging and most importantly how excited we get when we realise there is broccoli in the poo!!!

Onward!!

No comments:

Post a Comment